- Find your inner child: to write for kids, you need to become a kid.
- Take risks: If you want to write the word fart, WRITE IT!
- Talk to kids: Seriously, you can have some pretty great conversations with a 4 year old about why they don’t like hotdogs.
- Read kids books: Find that old Curious George and read Monkey, READ!
- Ask people about their kids: Sometimes people’s kids do some pretty whacky stuff.
- Think about what you did as a kid: Did you cut off your sisters doll heads? Did you think if you poured milk in the garden the tomatoes would turn white?
- Be CREATIVE! Do I really need to explain this? PURPLE!
- Be real: seriously write from your heart okay? You and the pencil…or keyboard or whatever…ARE ONE!
I’ll be giving tips often. If there’s anything specific you want to ask me about, feel free to comment. There are no bad/dumb questions. There are only bad/dumb answers.